Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year and New Challenges

I felt like I finished 2010 with focus. I had the week off between Christmas and New Years, which gave me plenty of time to run and an opportunity to try some new running gear Santa had left under the tree. I was able to log 25 miles that week... 3 miles in my new Vibram Fivefingers Bikila running shoes and 6 miles using my Kahtoola MICROspikes. My run in the VFF Bikilas felt pretty good and the MICROspikes exceeded my expectations for running in the snow and ice. My long run for the week was 10 miles. I felt like I could have easily tacked on another 3 miles, but I did not want to over extend myself.

I am looking forward to 2011, having already added several new races to my calendar, including my first marathon in October. I am getting close to finalizing my marathon training program, but would welcome any advice from those who have already put a program together or trained for a marathon. Several other new additions this year include the use of dailymile.com and utilizing this blog as an online training journal. The activity I have seen on the dailymile.com probably excites me the most. This is a great social networking tool for runners, making it easy to find training partners, local events, running routes and groups, etc.

I do have a few things I would like to improve on this year, including adding more cross-training into my schedule and improving my core. I also hope to eventually add a running pod cast to my blog as I have gained valuable knowledge through many of the pod casts found at runningpodcasts.org and channelrunner.org. Hopefully my pod casts will be as motivational and informative, or at least half as entertaining as the ones I have been listening to on a regular basis.

I hope to add more race reports and running content as my training picks up. At least we are past the shortest day of the year as I find it hard to get motivated on a cold morning when the Sun is no where in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment